Zuppa Toscana

I love Olive Garden.   It's not authentic, but it's still fabulous.    I never order anything besides the soup, salad and bread stick trio.  Why try something new when I know I'm gonna be satisfied with my go-to favorite.   The sad part of this story is that I live in Clovis, NM and....there is no Olive Garden.  How pathetic.

So I decided last night to make the Zuppa Toscana recipe that I haven't made in years.  Honestly, the last time I made this soup,  we ended up in the ER.  Not because the soup was bad, but because Ava burned her hand on the stove and we had to go get it taken care of.   I never got to eat that batch, I had to leave the almost cooked potatoes on the stove.  It was a sad day all around.

I neglected to take pictures of this last night while it was being made, so some Google images will have to do.

Zuppa Toscana


  • 1 lb ground Italian sausage
  • 1½ tsp crushed red peppers
  • 1 large diced white onion
  • 4 Tbsp bacon pieces
  • 2 tsp garlic puree
  • 10 cups water
  • 5 cubes of chicken bouillon
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
  • ¼ of a bunch of kale
  1. Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.
  2. In the same pan, sauté bacon, onions and garlic over low-medium heat for approximately 15 mins. or until the onions are soft.
  3. Add chicken bouillon and water to the pot and heat until it starts to boil.
  4. Add the sliced potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
  5. Add the heavy cream and just cook until thoroughly heated.
  6. Stir in the sausage and the kale, let all heat through and serve. Delicious!

P.S.   I didn't have kale, so I substituted some chopped cabbage and added it with the potatoes so it had a chance to cook.  I thought it tasted just as good as the kale would have.  I also didn't have heavy cream, I used some plain greek yogurt instead.  

From what I gather a cup and a half of this has about 240 calories.  

Post a Comment

Followers

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP